How do you use facetious?
Facetious Sentence Examples
- Tom thinks he’s being funny, but he’s only being facetious and rude.
- She was a facetious person, intending to be amusing.
- Sorry if that sounds facetious, but it is a valid point.
- Trying to talk to Jim about serious financial issues is difficult because of his facetious personality.
What does the word facetiously mean?
1 : joking or jesting often inappropriately : waggish just being facetious. 2 : meant to be humorous or funny : not serious a facetious remark.
What is proper word usage?
1. Use the Right Word. A word is “right” when it is used appropriately and in a context where its intended meaning, tone, and implications correspond to the those associated with it. In other words, the writer should understand and be comfortable with what the word means both denotatively and connotatively.
How do you use the word anomaly in a sentence?
Anomaly in a Sentence 🔉
- In order to find the anomaly, scientists had to repeat the experiment over a hundred times.
- None of the astronauts were able to explain the anomaly they observed in space.
- Since my son has a history of failing classes, his good grades are a welcome anomaly.
How do you use the word fallacious in a sentence?
(1) His argument is based on fallacious reasoning. (2) Their main argument is fallacious. (3) Such an argument is misleading, if not wholly fallacious. (4) Such a bill would be entirely fallacious.
How do you use the word gall in a sentence?
Gall in a Sentence 🔉
- After Paul made the mistake, he had the gall to blame me for his error.
- Can you believe Amber had the gall to call her parents controlling after they bailed her out of jail?
- Even though Janice owes us money, she still has the gall to brag about buying a ticket to the baseball game.
When you say something but don’t really mean it?
An Idiom is a phrase that does not mean what it literally implies. Although we, as Americans, may clearly understand what the writer using an idiom is trying to convey, a reader from another culture most likely would have no idea what is being said.
What is the word for saying something without saying it?
Innuendo in Latin means “to point to” or “nod to.” When you refer to something indirectly, you point at it without mentioning it, making an innuendo.
What is the difference between usage and use?
There is a distinct difference between the two terms, the main difference between use and usage is that use refers to the act of using or state of being used for a purpose whereas usage refers to an accepted and habitual practice or the customary manner in which a language or a form of language is spoken or written.
What is an example of usage?
Usage is defined as the way that something is being used, or to the proper way to make use of something such as a word or phrase or tool. When the power company measures how and when people use power, this is an example of a study of usage. When you use a word incorrectly, this is an example of an improper usage.
How do you use the word facetious in a sentence?
The word “facetious” is used when a person is attempting to be witty, funny, or humorous remarks when they ought to be serious. An example that depicts the use of “facetious” is: David enjoys being facetious when his parents scold his siblings. It should not be a big deal to use the word “facetious” correctly in a sentence.
What are the vowels in facetious?
facetious Is Chock-full of Vowels. Facetious—which puzzle fans know is one of the few English words containing the vowels a, e, i, o, u in order—came to English from the Middle French word facetieux, which traces to the Latin word facetia, meaning “jest.”.
What are facetious remarks?
Facetious remarks are something that are not intended to be taken seriously. These remarks often involve making fun of something, which may be very offensive to someone else. Being facetious mostly comes around as immature and insensitive.
Is Sarah facetious a word?
Sarah is a facetious person who never takes anything seriously. Even though the comedian told many facetious religious jokes, the church members still clapped loudly at the end of the show. Mark’s facetious remarks were inappropriate at his aunt’s funeral. You should avoid being facetious when talking to a police officer.