What can I put in my front yard instead of grass?
Eco-Friendly Alternatives to a Grassy Lawn
- Groundcovers. Groundcovers sprawl across the ground but don’t grow tall, eliminating the need to mow, providing the perfect alternative to grass.
- Corsican Mint.
- Creeping Thyme.
- Ornamental Grasses.
- Evergreen Moss.
- Native Perennial Beds.
- Artificial Turf.
How do you garden without grass?
5 ways to create a grass-free garden
- Try a green ground covering.
- Install a gravel bed.
- Plant an edible garden.
- Contrast a deck or patio with plants ringing the edges.
- Look for drought-resistant, native plants.
How can I make my front yard low maintenance?
12 Ways To Go Low Maintenance in Your Yard
- Mow Less. The secret to mowing your way to a beautiful lawn is mowing less, but not in the way you might think.
- Automate Watering.
- Use Mulch.
- Choose Plants Wisely.
- Try Composite Decking.
- Plant Easy-Care Containers.
- Go Hands-Free With Watering.
- Work With What You Have.
How do I landscape my front yard?
12 simple front yard landscaping ideas that can add serious curb appeal
- Add rock features.
- Add lighting.
- Upgrade a bed border.
- Plant ground cover to hide unsightly areas.
- Plant perennial shrubs in front of your house.
- Make a garden bed around your mailbox.
- Haul out old mulch and refresh.
- Build a flower bed around a tree.
How do I landscape without a lawn?
23 no grass backyard ideas
- Flagstone. Eliminate the grass and do so with a neater choice with no maintenance needs whatsoever like flagstones, cobblestones and all sorts of large slabs as pavers or stepping stones.
- Gravel and pebbles.
- Potted plants.
- Artificial grass and turf.
- Water features.
Can you have moss instead of grass?
For the rest of us, moss can be a great alternative to that high maintenance grass. Using moss as lawn provides wonderful springy groundcover that can be walked on moderately — a no-mow alternative with rich, deep color and texture. It just might be a good choice for your lawn needs.
How can I landscape without mulch?
Alternative Mulch Types
- Rock. Rock, gravel, pebbles and other stones can be applied to landscaping features such as flowerbeds to suppress weed growth and retain moisture.
- Rubber Mulch.
- Alternative Organic Mulch.
- Grass Clippings.
- Pine Needles.
- Cardboard and Newspaper.
- Helpful Tips.
How can I make my front garden look nice?
Be inspired by our tips for designing a front garden, below.
- Use complementary colours.
- Use white to create a focal point.
- Hide bins with bespoke screening.
- Use containers to enhance paved spaces.
- Use topiary for a formal look.
- Use hanging baskets for height and colour.
- Use pots of different sizes.
How can I landscape my garden cheaply?
Cheap garden ideas: 42 simple ways to update your outdoor space…
- Repurpose old wooden crates to make stylish shelves.
- Use old jars as mini planters.
- Try DIY terracotta candle holders.
- Create a cool, industrial-style aesthetic with oversized planters.
- Make an upcycled hanging planter.
How can I make my front yard landscape without plants?
How to Go Plant-Free in Your Landscape Design
- Choose your hardscape carefully.
- Choose non-living ground covers for texture, color and visual appeal.
- Use landscaping fabric.
- Bring in a water feature.
- Avoid clutter.
- Include functional features.
- Bring in color and textures.
- Light it up.
How to design a front yard without grass?
Mark off what you want to be mulched.
How to do landscaping for the front yard?
Trees,Shrubs,and Ground Covers. Trees,shrubs,and ground covers are permanent purchases that increase in both size and value and take little maintenance.
How to transform your front yard with Curb Appeal landscaping?
Add Barkdust. For a quick win,spread a thick layer of barkdust or mulch over your front yard garden beds.
Should I fence my front yard?
The Survey. If property lines are not marked already,hire a surveyor to make sure you’re not building a fence on your neighbor’s property.