What is the golden rule for solving equations?
Do unto one side of the equation, what you do to the other! An equation is like a balance scale. If we put something on, or take something off of one side, the scale (or equation) is unbalanced. When solving math equations, we must always keep the ‘scale’ (or equation) balanced so that both sides are ALWAYS equal.
What is the easiest way to solve word problems?
A proven step-by-step method for solving word problems is actually quite simple.
- Read the problem out loud to yourself.
- Draw a Picture.
- Think “What do I need to find?”
- List what is given.
- Find the key words.
- Check your work.
What are the steps in problem solving process?
Six step guide to help you solve problems
- Step 1: Identify and define the problem. State the problem as clearly as possible.
- Step 2: Generate possible solutions.
- Step 3: Evaluate alternatives.
- Step 4: Decide on a solution.
- Step 5: Implement the solution.
- Step 6: Evaluate the outcome.
What is the most important step in problem solving?
Understanding your process is THE MOST IMPORTANT part of systematic problem solving. It’s your lifeline throughout the entire project.
How does Polya’s steps work in problem solving?
What is Polya problem solving?
In 1945, Pólya published the short book How to Solve It, which gave a four-step method for solving mathematical problems: First, you have to understand the problem. After understanding, then make a plan. Carry out the plan. Look back on your work.
What are two obstacles to problem solving?
Five of the most common processes and factors that researchers have identified as barriers to problem solving are confirmation bias, mental set, functional fixedness, unnecessary constraints, and irrelevant information.
What are the six steps in the troubleshooting process?
CompTIA A+ | Microsoft MTA O/S: 6-Step Troubleshooting Process
- Identify the problem.
- Establish a theory of probably cause. (
- Test the theory to determine cause.
- Establish a plan of action to resolve the problem and implement the solution.
- Verify full system functionality and if applicable implement preventative measures.
- Document findings, actions, and outcomes.
What is the five step method?
The 5-step method consists of (1) Listen, reassure, and explore concerns; (2) Provide relevant, specific, and targeted information; (3) Explore coping resources; (4) Discuss social support; and (5) Discuss and explore further needs (Copello, Templeton, et al., 2010a) .
What is the four step method?
This problem-solving plan consists of four steps: details, main idea, strategy, and how. As students work through each step, they may use “graphic representations” to organize their ideas, to provide evidence of their mathematical thinking, and to show their strategy for arriving at a solution.
What are the 5 steps in solving word problems?
5 Steps to Word Problem Solving
- Identify the Problem. Begin by determining the scenario the problem wants you to solve.
- Gather Information. Create a table, list, graph or chart that outlines the information you know, and leave blanks for any information you don’t yet know.
- Create an Equation.
- Solve the Problem.
- Verify the Answer.
What are the 4 steps in problem solving?
Polya created his famous four-step process for problem solving, which is used all over to aid people in problem solving:
- Step 1: Understand the problem.
- Step 2: Devise a plan (translate).
- Step 3: Carry out the plan (solve).
- Step 4: Look back (check and interpret).
What are the factors affecting problem solving?
Below we have outlined the key factors affecting the problem solving process.
- Understanding the problem. The most important factor in solving a problem is to first fully understand it.
- Personality types/Temperament.
- Resources available.