Can you begin a sentence with a verb?
As you noted, it is possible to start a sentence with an “-ing word”, which is called a gerund. A gerund is a special form of a verb which turns it into an adjective. In this case, your sentence would become “Observing the experiments, I learned that ‘Failure is the mother of success.
How do you find the main verb in a sentence?
To find the main verb in a sentence, remember:
- A main verb will usually come right after the subject, and.
- A main verb will express actions, emotions, ideas, or a state of being. For example: run, love, think, play, hope, be, and is.
Is weak a verb or noun?
adjective, weak·er, weak·est. lacking in bodily strength or healthy vigor, as from age or sickness; feeble; infirm: a weak old man; weak eyes.
How do you fix a verb?
Strategies to Eliminate “Be” Verbs
- 1) Change the main verb from an –ing to a regular.
- 2) Change the “be” verb to a stronger verb.
- 3) Eliminate the “be” verb by writing one or more showing sentence(s)
- 4) Change the adjective to the verb.
- 5) Combine sentences to eliminate the “be” verb.
- 6) Change another word to the verb.
- 7) Get rid of unnecessary phrases.
What is a verb example in a sentence?
A verb is the action or state of being in a sentence. Verbs can be expressed in different tenses, depending on when the action is being performed. Example: Jennifer walked to the store.
What is a verb for a child?
Verbs are words that show actions, motions, doing, or states of being. They can also demonstrate how someone feels. Verbs are an absolutely necessary part of sentences. A sentence cannot work without an action verb.
What is the difference between a verb and adverb?
1 Answer. A verb is a word for an action or a state of being. An adverb is a word used to modify a verb, an adjective, or another adverb.