How do you use otherwise in the middle of a sentence?
AdverbEdit (sentence adverb) You use otherwise to connect two clauses where the second clause shows what would have happened if the first clause hadn’t happened. I missed the bus. Otherwise, I would have been here earlier.
Can I use subsequently at the beginning of a sentence?
We cannot use ‘ subsequently’ in the beginning of a sentence . Many adverbs have a natural place internally within a sentence, but we can often put them at either the beginning or the end.
How do you write a comparison text?
Writing a comparative essay
- Read the topic carefully. Make sure that you understand exactly what the topic is asking you to do.
- Give roughly equal weight to each text.
- Choose your preferred structure.
- Focus on differences as well as similarities.
- Use linking words and phrases.
- Explore a range of elements.
How do you use afterward in a sentence?
Afterward sentence example
- What became of him afterward our friends never knew.
- Afterward he left, shutting the door with force.
- Several weeks afterward , there came a visitor to the home of the Wests.
- Lightning flashed so bright that the room lit up, and shortly afterward it thundered so loud that the windows rattled.
How is consequently used in a sentence?
An example of consequently used as an adverb is in the sentence, “She didn’t like the pudding; consequently, she threw it all away.” (conjunctive) As a result or consequence of something. He didn’t wake up early. Consequently, he was late to work.
Does consequently need a comma?
When a term like “However,” “As a result,” or “Consequently” starts a sentence, it should be followed by a comma. (These terms are called conjunctive adverbs or “transitional phrases.”)
What does subsequently mean in a sentence?
: at a later or subsequent time comments that were subsequently shown to be inaccurate By denying him a hearing beforehand, a jury subsequently ruled, prison officials had violated his right to due process.—
How can I compare two texts in English?
A comparison of two texts should focus on HOW the writer’s methods are similar and/or different….For example, you could focus on a writer’s use of:
- tone , eg humorous, serious, satirical.
- language, eg word choice, literary techniques , rhetorical devices.
- structure, eg order of ideas, repetition, sentence structure.
What does it mean to compare texts?
When comparing texts, you are making a point about two different texts, backing up ideas with evidence and explaining the idea. Then using a linking statement, you can connect the two ideas together.
Why do we compare and contrast texts?
Compare & Contrast acts as a practical and easy-to-use introduction to higher-order thinking. Compare & Contrast improves comprehension by highlighting important details, making abstract ideas more concrete, and reducing the confusion between related concepts (think meiosis versus mitosis).
How can I use subsequently in a sentence?
Subsequently sentence example
- He subsequently wrote an account of his experiences.
- When I subsequently talked with her she said: I have something very funny to tell you.
- The enemy’s fleet, which subsequently did not let a single boat pass, allows his entire army to elude it.
- Koch subsequently improved the method.